FOR CLOSE FRIENDS: So since I just witnessed one of the best yankee swap gift exchanges with close friends (it was filled with laughs, "oohs," "ahhs," and stealing), I thought I'd share the notable mentions. (It was a $20 maximum for twenty something year olds)
- Fish, with requisite fish bowl and food!
- 20 single $1 bills (labeled for a bachelor or bachelorette party)
- whiskey stones (amazing to cool down your drink without watering it down)
- $20 gift certificate to a local lunch spot
- Mine: "holiday party for two" gift basket... Two mini bottles of champagne, cheese and crackers, milano cookies, whipped cream. Nothing says holidays like romantic gestures!
WORK COLLEAGUES: Work or non close friend swaps are completely different story, ie stay clear of fish bowls, $1 dollar bills, etc. Best ones are stocking stuffer type items, cool but inexpensive tech gifts like mini speakers or water proof music ear buds.